There are quite a few reasons you may need the specialized skills of an orthopedic doctor for knee pain. The good news is that our doctors at Great Lakes Orthopaedics are not only experienced but ready to help get you back to feeling good sooner than later. Before you get that far, let’s go over some ways you can help keep yourself and your knees healthy for the long-run.
Wear and Tear on Knees
It’s never too early to start taking care of your knees. Each year, millions of people visit hospitals for knee pain. Your knee is one of the most complex joints in your body. It can easily sustain an injury or wear and tear from:
- Being on hard pavement
Caring for Your Knees
Simply because our knees are complex does not mean we have to give up on an active lifestyle. There are steps you can take to help protect your knees throughout all walks of life.
- Run Outdoors: if you love to jog or go on long walks, take them off the treadmill and into nature whenever possible. Walking or running on asphalt and pavement is a quick way to wear out your knees and surrounding joints. Try instead to go for a run along the beach or on a dirt trail.
- Maintain a Healthy Weight: the more weight you carry, the harder it will be on your knees. Each person’s version of a healthy weight will be different. Speak with your physician to find out what an appropriate range is for you and do your best to maintain it.
- Stretch: no matter how active you are, or are not, you need to stretch. Whether you go to physical therapy, do yoga, stretch at home or even get a massage, be sure to take care of your muscles. They help protect your joints.
Treatment for Knee Pain
If you happen to sustain an injury to your knee, there are some measures you can take for immediate relief.
- Protect your knee injury from worsening by taking the weight off. Use crutches or a walker if possible.
- Rest your knee by limiting activity.
- Ice to reduce the swelling.
- Compress your knee with an athletic wrap.
- Elevate an injured knee to help with blood flow.
If you need knee surgery, our physicians will walk you through every step along the way so you feel confident before and after your procedure. When it comes to our knees, it’s important to take good care early and often. If you need knee surgery or have questions about knee and joint pain, please reach out to our team at Great Lakes Orthopaedics for more information.